Tibs Manor

Thursday, August 25, 2005

"Because It's Hillman"

Last night during dinner I watched what was maybe the worst episode of the Cosby Show I have ever seen. "Hillman" (episode #325), perhaps better known as the "Because It's Hillman" episode (search for that phrase). This is the season 3 finale, where Cliff and the whole family (including Sondra, and Cliff's parents Russell and Anna) go to Hillman College for the retirement of the school president. Do you remember being bored by the longwinded speeches at your own graduation, or maybe the graduation of a relative? Well get ready to be bored all over again by several speeches about what it's like to be a "Hillman Man" and a LONG song sung by Clair. I normally kind of like the Hillman stuff, but this episode just shoves it down your throat. The episode is bizarre, it's like watching a home movie (and sometimes it appears to have been shot that way!). I don't think this is when the show jumped the shark - for me that would be either cousin Pam or Olivia's arrival, whichever happened first - but this stands as perhaps the worst episode during the golden age of Cosby.

1 Comments:

  • I still liked the show after Olivia joined. That marked the beginning of the end but it takes a while to fall from such lofty heights. Cousin Pam was just bad. The episode with her and birth control was terrible.

    For my money my favorite Cosby show moments are:
    * Theo explaining why he took off his shirt - "I had to let my skin breathe!"
    * singing "Night Time (Is The Right Time)" for Cliff's parents
    * the Gordon Gartrelle shirt - the whole episode I guess

    Theo and Elvin are my two favorite characters. The two of them should have gotten an apartment and made a spinoff series out of that, that would have ruled.

    By Blogger Tom, at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home