Tibs Manor

Friday, August 26, 2005

The Life Aquatic

I finally got around to watching The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou last night. I guess I'd say I was disappointed, out of the Wes Anderson films I've seen (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, and The Royal Tenenbaums) this was probably my least favorite. There were certain things I really liked...the idea of an "Air Kentucky"...the side cutaway set of the ship, I thought the shots using that were very cool...and the soundtrack was usual Anderson fun, especially Seu Jorge's acoustic translated renditions of several Ziggy Stardust era David Bowie songs. (There are a few of his albums on the iTMS that I may check out.) I know a lot of people didn't like the little animated sea life bits but I thought they gave the film an interesting look. Looking back on it I liked quite a bit about the movie - but it just didn't fully come together for me. For much of the movie I was bored, and much of the movie I thought was needlessly, intentionally weird. I'm glad I saw it, but I'm equally glad I didn't buy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home